What are the best metal detectors under 300? Are you planning to get into the treasure hunting hobby? Well, there are some vital gadgets that you need to have.
One of these gadgets is a metal detector. This handy device helps you detect the presence of metal nearby- even when buried underground.
If you are starting, you need to invest in high quality yet affordable metal detector. That way, you will make your treasure hunting seamless and worthwhile.
We are aware of the presence of a variety of cheap metal detectors in the market.
However, getting a metal detector that suits your needs and delivers results, is a challenge. That is why, in this article, we have reviewed some of the best metal detector in the market, as well as factors to consider before buying.
- 1 Types Metal Detectors Under 300
- 2 Buying Guide (What to consider/lookout for)
- 3 Best Metal Detectors under 300 Reviews
- 4 Conclusion
Types Metal Detectors Under 300
The type of metal detector you choose depends on what you are looking for and the location of your hunt. There are four main types of metal detectors- gold detectors, land coin detectors, multipurpose detectors, and beach and underwater detectors.
Beach and underwater detectors are used to detect the presence of a metal in the water or under beach sand. These devices are more robust, water-resistant, and waterproof. This makes them rust-resistant warding off corrosion. Their opposite is the land coin detectors which are used for finding metals in the ordinary dirt.
Gold detectors are used to specifically find gold. They use high frequencies to differential gold and other metals. Such a detector is useful in gold-rich areas since you are unlikely to find natural gold elsewhere.
Multipurpose detectors can find some gold as well as other metals. It is suitable for beginners who have no experience in this field. Therefore, if you do not know which one to buy, a multipurpose detector is the way to go. It gives you a variety of options on what and where to hunt.
Buying Guide (What to consider/lookout for)
Metal detecting hobby can be confusing when you are a beginner. One, there are a lot of terminologies involved, not to mention the variety of brands with different features. You do not need to have extreme knowledge of metal detecting gadgets for you to be a successful bounty hunter. However, before buying a metal detector, you need to consider the following factors.
Weight is one of the most overlooked factors but to succeed in treasure hunting it must be a consideration. You do not want heavy equipment that will exhaust you. The best metal detector should be lightweight so that you can swing it around for long without fatigue.
This is the speed at which your machines oscillate to create a magnetic field which in turn detects metals. A higher frequency is more sensitive to small items while a low frequency scans deeper. A device with a frequency range of between 5 – 10 kHz is enough for general detection especially if you are a beginner.
Nothing is frustrating like digging out for long only to find a worthless bottle cap. That is why professional metal detectors have a discriminator that ignores some targets. You achieve this by setting out a certain threshold of conductivity and eliminating anything below this value.
This refers to the estimation of how deep on the ground you treasure is. Most modern metal detectors have basic depth features that tell you how deep you should dig. It is important to note that this is an estimation and the accuracy may vary greatly depending on the detector. Always go for detectors that have a depth indicator with high accuracy.
The ground always has some other metals such as iron. Such metals can interfere with the ability of your detector to identify treasure targets such as coins and jewels. Ground balance is the ability to bypass these other minerals in search of more valuable targets. Most beginner metal detectors come with a preset ground balance that works in most searching environments. However high-end detectors have an automatic ground balance that changes with the environment.
This is one of the most important features to consider in a metal detector for you to differentiate between nickel, silver, gold, or junk. The signal can be an audible high pitched beep for valuables and low tone for junks. In more advanced metal detectors the target ID output is visual and appears on an LCD screen. This is often a number between 0-99 depending on conductivity and gives you an idea of the probable metal.
This is the ability to detect the metal from a distance. Metal detectors with sensitivity control are used in areas with low mineral levels. It is advisable to lower sensitivity in areas with high mineral levels.
Best Metal Detectors under 300 Reviews
Although metal detectors use the same working mechanism, they are of different types from different companies, and with different features. For these reasons, it’s hard to know the one that suits you. Lucky for you, we have compiled cheap metal detectors under $300.
The Bounty Hunter is one of the most affordable yet efficient metal detectors in the market today. Featuring state of the art technology, this metal detector can detect all kinds of valuable metals such as gold and iron relics. Its motion all-metal mode detects all metals while the trash elimination control ensures that you filter out junk and find the treasure you want. Again, its construction technology allows you to detect coin-sized items up to 6 inches on the ground and large items up to two feet deep.
What most people love about this gadget is its 6.6 kHz operating frequency which allows you to detect objects seamlessly. It also has a sensitivity meter which helps determine the strength of the metal signal. Additionally, the gadget comes with headphones for use when hunting metals in noisy places.
- With 6.6kHz operating frequency for deep detection
- Its features an adjustable length – 34.5 inches to 45.5 inches
- Detects coin-sized targets 6 inches deep and 2 feet deep for larger targets
- With in-build speakers and comes with headphone for use in noisy places
- It trash elimination feature helps detect the treasures you want
- Comes with motion all-metal mode for all types of metals
- Uses 2 9V alkaline batteries
- With 7 inches weather resistant coil
- With automatic ground control
- Lightweight gadget weighing only 2.2 lbs.
- Detects all types of metals
- Its features are customizable
- Weather resistance meaning the detector is durable
- Can be used in noisy streets
- You can set controls to filter unwanted trash
- The detector lack an LCD
- Not waterproof hence not suitable for use in water bodies
Whether you are an established metal detectorist or you are starting, the Garrett Ace metal detector can help you a great deal.
With a PROformance DD Waterproof Search Coil, this gadget is useful even in water bodies.
The detector features an adjustable arm strap and a lightweight design making it convenient for all-day use.
It comes with clear sound headphones for use in crowded places. The device features 10kHz frequency for better sensitivity to both low and medium conductivity metals.
What is amazing about this metal detector is the presence of frequency adjust features that allow you to easily toggle between frequency shifts thus eliminating interference from other devices.
Additionally, it features five discrimination modes, all geared towards filtering junks. This makes it one of the best metal detectors under 300.
- Frequencies of 10kHz for better sensitivity
- Powered by 4 AA batteries
- With frequency adjustment features to eliminate interference
- PROformance search coil for better results
- Comes with clear sound headphones for use in noisy grounds
- Features 5 discrimination modes to filter out trash
- With ACE Environmental Cover-up that protects the control box
- Lightweight and durable design
- Detects all types of metals
- With discrimination features to eliminate trash
- With an adjustable arm strap
- With a display screen for easy metal detection
- It’s a waterproof design that can be used in the ocean
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- Lacks external volume control
- Not easy to use when starting out
Take your treasure hunting skills to the next level with the Fisher F22 metal detector. Featuring cutting edge design, this detector has superfast return speed with excellent target separation for enhanced detection. It’s easy to use discrimination feature, unrivaled sensitivity, notch, and pinpoint attributes, makes it a must-have for any serious detectorist. The equipment is also accurate thanks to its 0-99 numeric target-ID coupled with 4-tone audio-ID system. What’s more, this 2 AA batteries operated detector features a waterproof search-coil making it an all purposes design.
- Waterproof metal detector
- Comes with 0-99 numeric visual target ID for precise detection
- With 4-tone audio-ID system
- With iron identities icon
- 4 modes of operation for accuracy
- Uses 2 AA batteries
- 4 Modes of operation
- Adjustable Sensitivity and Volume
- Notch Discrimination System
- 7.69 kHz Operating Frequency
- Easy to use
- Excellent target separation
- Very accurate thanks to its pinpoint features
- You can set your alert tone
- Lightweight, waterproof, and durable
- Comes with a 5-year warranty
- It struggles to differential metal types
- It’s for adults only due to its length
Choose your detector depending on your level of experience, the location you want to perform the hunting, and the type of metal you want to hunt.
You can also refer to our best metal detectors under 300 buying guide section for other important factors to consider.